After years of loyal service, it was time to retire my old mascot character and replace her with a new and improved design. Whilst I liked her overall look, in practice I found the proportions and details too rigid to work with in a dynamic way.
This redesign addresses those issues by using bolder and more expressive lines, reduced detail, longer limbs, as well as a colouring style that’s more in line with my current work.
Process and Results
My process always starts with a planning and sketching session. I made a few notes about the colours and placements so I could better align the new character with my branding and collateral. I then used Procreate App on my iPad to sketch up some ideas, playing with different proportions and stylisations before eventually settling on a little square faced robot with a messy hairdo.
The sketches were then exported from my iPad into Adobe Illustrator for inking and colouring. I’d considered how often the character would be viewed on mobile, so I decided on a bold minimal colouring style that would work well at smaller sizes, whilst still being impactful at a larger scale.
After finishing up the digital inking, I worked up a few different variations to use across my website and social profiles. I’ve kept a working Illustrator file to hand with all the grouped elements and layers intact, so I’m able to produce extra variations more efficiently as I need them.
My little robot character has undergone a fair few stylistic and structural changes over the years – from the simple single layer linework I used in 2012, through to the more colourful layered iteration I’m using now. It’s been a fun opportunity to experiment with different approaches to using character illustrations as a brand asset.
There are a few more things I’d like to try out with this character too, such as animation and large scale pieces. I’ll be sharing the results on my Instagram for those interested.
If you’d like to commission a character of your own, please get in touch.